Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pregnancy: Curing What Ails Me

BOSTON, MASS.- Well, my due date has come and gone. A certain little baby girl never got the memo apparently. If she doesn't come on her own this week, then the plan is to likely be induced early next week.

So, in recognition of still being pregnant, I thought I'd jot down some things to remember/not remember about this first pregnancy of mine:
This is me on my due date, December 8. I'm posting it knowing full-well I look chubby. I feel it too.
  • During my first trimester, I never got really bad morning sickness, but I did feel something equivalent to being car sick much of the time. And smells... ohhhh. I wish there was an on-off button for my nose, because I would shut it off for sure! I could smell anything and everything, amplified about 10 times. It was the worst! Especially during lunch time at work when everyone would eat lunch at their desks (open cubicles nonetheless) and all the scents would some how accumulate to my desk. I remember covering my nose to keep from gagging more than once. 
  • I get hot all the time. This is a huge incentive to me to never be fat. I now understand how overweight people are hot all the time. Folks: there is a cure: don't be fat (or pregnant)! Problem solved.
  • My back aches in this one spot, right in the center (and slightly to the right) almost constantly. It feels like someone is twisting one of my back ribs.
  • Pain underneath the ribs is not fun. For months, this baby has enjoyed digging in under my right rib cage.  At one point it throbbed constantly, but now I think it's so bruised beyond repair that it is often times just numb. 
  • It's hard to stay comfortable sitting down at my desk at work (or sitting anywhere, really)... but if I stand, then I suddenly feel like I have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I'm not sure which is the lesser pain.
  • Pressure. Holy moly. Sometimes it's bad. And it makes me limp when I walk. Now I know why pregnant woman waddle.
  • I've never had trouble sleeping before, so this ailment irks me to the core: Every few nights I have a hard time sleeping (though it's become more regular as the days/nights go by). Like really hard time. Tossing, turning, not being comfortable, feeling overheated, major heartburn, having to get up at least a few times to go to the restroom. If I've slept well for two or three nights in a row, I know I'm due for a lousy, restless sleep. Last night was one of those nights. I hate them.
  • At night (though sometimes during the day) I get MEGA heartburn. It burns my entire chest and develops into acid reflux. So gross. And so uncomfortable.
  • Off and on during the last nine months, my feet and ankles have become the unattractive "cankle." Some days they come. Some days they don't. Most recently the doctor noticed even my legs are swelling a little. And my fingers. Some days my wedding ring doesn't even fit (but on cold days, which we have a lot of around here, it fits just fine, thankfully). 
  • One symptom I won't go into detail about has caused some not fun moments involving what I think is these. Ew. Thankfully, they've subsided for the time being.
  • During my first trimester, I craved smoothies all the time. And pretty much anything that could be classified as a dessert. Now, most "food cravings" are minimum (though I still crave any dessert always, any time, anywhere), and instead I have this weird thing for toothpaste and certain smells. Mostly smells that contain chemicals I shouldn't be smelling in the first place, like paint, gasoline, cleansers, etc. They smell amazing to me!  And if I wasn't concerned about my brain cells, I would be sniffing them all the time. But back to toothpaste... oh my. I could brush my teeth for hours at night, if my gums didn't bleed so dang bad! Another fun pregnancy symptom.
I think that's about it. Sometimes it feels like I've been pregnant forever. But I'm sure as soon as this little baby girl is here in my arms, it'll seem like she's been here all along. So for now, I'll enjoy a few more diaper-less, non-crying days and nights. Our lives are certainly in for some major change, that is for sure! 

7 comments:

Eloquent Obi said...

too cute! you look well. hope she comes on her own soon! miss you!

Xoxo Grandma said...

Oh, I had heartburn so bad when I was pregnant with you & Brittany, I thought I was going to die! Next week sounds good to me...remember Rob came 6 weeks late. I know they don't do that now days but it's true & I swear it was the pits!

Lorena said...

This was fun to read your list. It might make you happy to know that there is the possibility of having easier pregnancies down the line. This was almost my exact same list (even how you described your back pain and rib pain), plus a few other things, when I was pregnant with Michael, but strangely, each subsequent pregnancy has been less ailments. I had expected it would only get worse. So there is hope! Your craving for certain smells made me laugh. It actually sounds a lot like pica - the iron-deficient thing where people want to eat things like dirt and metal. Which might actually make sense for a pregnant woman.

gracie said...

i'm dying about your scent cravings. glad you're not sniffing the chemicals, but I bet your dentist is thrilled at the toothpaste one. :) hoping baby reeve comes soon! - grace

Brittany said...

Oh dear. You look cute and pregnant and uncomfortable and just reading this gave me flashbacks of my pregnancies, which can I just say sounds so weird to say? I'm supposed to be a little girl and not have those types of things happen to me, right?

Oh, and I used to crave the smell of those giant Sharpies. I would color all over boxes as much as I could just to smell that smell. Until I got a huge fear that I was going to give Livy brain damage and then the craving was so strong I ran to the garbage and threw my sharpie away so I wouldn't be tempted.

Rachel said...

Okay, you look great. I am excited for baby girl!! Need to start planning my trip to Boston! XOXOXO

Amy said...

I feel left out I've never had any cravings. That's supposed to be the "fun" part of pregnancy.

I'm sitting here, waiting for that text to tell me baby girl is here and I can hardly stand it. SO SO SO excited for you and Isaac.